Obstetrics and Gynaecology is a unique specialty. Obstetrics is particularly unusual in that our patients carry a passenger, have a tendency to become unwell or to bleed heavily, remain awake during elective and many emergency deliveries and have a partner, friend of parent by their side when the clinical situation deteriorates. All these stressors mean that the non-technical skills of communication and teamwork, situational awareness, leadership and decision making, are very useful skills to possess and develop.
- To promote non-technical skills education and training for Obstetrics trainees.
- To introduce ST1 to 2 and ST3 to 5 trainees in obstetrics and gynaecology to the NOTTS (non technical skills) for Labour Ward tool .
- To demonstrate candidates’ non-technical skills through 6 real-time filmed scenarios using video debriefing.
Duration: 1 Day
Course Facilitators: Dr Kate Patrick & Dr Oliver Milling-Smith
Individual Rate: £200 (free if part of West of Scotland Deanery Training)
Candidates: 6 ST 1 TO 2 Trainees and 6 ST3 to 5 Trainees
If you become unavailable having booked a place please let the Simulation centre know immediately on 01324 567412 so that a replacement can be found.
- 12th June 2018 (West of Scotland Deanery trainees only).
- 16th November 2018 (West of Scotland Deanery trainees only).
Jackson S, Brackley K, Landau A, Hayes K. Assessing non-technical skills on the delivery suite: a pilot study. The Clinical Teacher 2014; 11: 375-380
Jackson S, Hayes K, HInshaw K. The relevance of non-technical skills in obstetrics and gynaecology. The Obstetrician & Gynaecologist 2013;15:269-274
Participants have said:
Realistic scenarios. Set up is very helpful for learning. Non-threatening friendly environment.
Well planned scenarios with good supportive teams. Focussed feedback with targeted learning points.
Excellent technology. Supportive/encouraging/positive facilitators. Helpful feedback. Very realistic. Relaxed/informal atmosphere.